Friday, October 27, 2006

Thank God for Stash

This year has seemed fairly tight financially, I just never seemed to be coming out ahead nearly as much as I'd have liked, it's been fairly stressful for I am determined to take my kids to see the Pharaoh Tutankhamun while he's so near to us (my parents took me the last time-- it was an event that I feel shaped my future). Luckily for me, I have stash so scrounging up projects wasn't anymore difficult then stepping into my basement. So I was a silent participant in the summer of stash this year, partially because I only heard rumors and partially because I avoid committment whenever possible (why, oh, why did I commit to Serrano, I'll never know). Not to mention that I'd have failed miserably because I did happen to find some "extra" money here and there that just screamed to be spent on yarn.

Well, I found out yesterday that I can expect to have @5% less for the next year to spend. I processed this information last night and thought of possible solutions, getting a second job?-- no, ick-- can't do it when I have an 11 year old son that often remarks on how much he likes cuddling with me in the evenings, cutting back on expenses?-- not much left at this point. I was going to buy a new computer this year since mine has been in the shop more then it's been home this year and it will soon be obsolete (thanks Bill), I could cut cable, but that's only $25 per month and really the only channels I watch are in the upper cable range. I've already dropped my car insurance (live in a city with great public transit-- I'm not driving illegeally) and we can do without Marco's Pizza delivery and the occasional eat out that we do. But really, when it comes down to it, it's the superfluous things like DVDs, shoes, fabric and yarn that I can live without.

I think I just felt the earth tremble as 5 people fainted.

The only reason I can say this is because of stash. Remember the mention above about the Summer of Stash and the basement? Let me assure you that my yarn (and fabric) holdings most likely exceed my life expectancy right now. What will be tough will be making do with the old rather then indulging on newly introduced yarns when keeping my needles clicking, but as a single mother, I think that really, I've had to be tougher then this many times in my life.

This will build character.

I was about to regale my premition for this life experence with a photogenic journey of the ugly duckling yarn style, but it would seem that my dear sweet daughter felt that her music needed the batteries more then my camera, so I will have to leave that for next time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rain said...

I hope your stash contains lots of lovely things you'd forgotten about that you'll enjoy working with.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

You know, I hear you. And I'm in very much the same boat.

I sometimes catch myself "stashing for a rainy day." when I have a little extra money, as if I have this fear of running out of yarn in leaner times. You'd think I'd be stashing canned goods and food, but, um, no. Just fiber.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Kendra said...

WPfY-- I belonged to a church for a while who believed in emergency food storage. During that time I did not amass one extra can nor one grain of wheat. But I'd bet that if worse came to pass, I'd be able to barter clothes for food ;)

RAIN-- yes, I am hoping to be pleasently suprised as well.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home