Monday, October 02, 2006


How old Can you Go?

This blogger asks what the oldes UFO in your possession is. Well I don't know what it is now (though I'm suspecting it's a pale blue sweater that I started and stalled out on for my daughter when she was about 3 or 4-- she's 17 now). But I can tell you what the oldest piece used to be.

Two summers ago I was rummaging through a closet in my parents house and I came up with a sweater that I'd started in 1982. Seeing that I was hip and trendy at the time, the sweater was not going to cut it in that incarnation. So I ripped (I get a perverse pleasure out of ripping, BTW-- I rip finished sweaters that have exceeded their fasion-life expectancy). And I used a table runner pattern from Majic Crochet to create a shawl/scarf thing with fringe on the ends. It's wide enough to be a shawl, but it's made out of sport weight yarn so it also compresses to become a nice scarf-- very handy when you are going to the night club in the dead of winter, scarf outside, shawl inside, no need to carry extra clothes.

The yarn was an acrylic with an irredecent metalic thread wrapped around it (which of course won't photograph). The yarn was bought at Lee Wards, it was a pound skein and it cost, according to the price sticker, $2.50.

1 Comments:

Blogger Calisews said...

I can tell you exactly what my oldest UFO is, was just looking at it the other day. It is a crewel embroidery project. An image of old mailboxes on wooden post. I have lost the directions, but still have the threads, so guess I will finish it up however the mood strikes me. It had my parents address on the mail box. My attempt at personalizing it. Had to change it when they moved. I hate admit this, but started it in summer of 1978, maybe I should actually finish the thing.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home