Tuesday, May 02, 2006

overheard at the yarn store............

Lady 1: Oh look at that lovely yarn
Lady 2: yes, and see the poncho above made with that yard?
Lady 1: oh, yes I do and isn't it devine, too bad poncho's are out of style now, I haven't seen one in any of the magazines or in the catalogues this season.
Lady 2: yes, I know *sigh* I gave all mine away.

What do I see wrong with this picture? Simply that I wouldn't let someone tell me how to spend my money, I wouldn't let someone dictate what car I drive, where I work or any major decision I make, I certianly don't rely on someone else telling me who to vote for, but year after year, season after season we allow a handful of fashion industry icons decide what is in style, what we will go to the nth degree to own and what we will shove to the back of our closet or give away to charity. Why do we feel the need to allow someone else to tell us what the "new black" is, what lenght our skirts will be or how pointy our shoes? If we can decide who is going to be our next president individually why can't each of us decide for ourselves if we will put a poncho over our shoulders.

Besides, no one seems to have told the very trendy college chicks that ponchos are out-- they still seem to be enjoying them imensely all over campus. Or maybe, just maybe these 20 somethings know something we should all learn-- to follow our own tastes and not some person who pads his pockets by making us desire entirely new wardrops every 3 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home